closed March 3rd, 1958
grid reference TM 312 752
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 06/09/2015
Built 1570 according to the date on a beam inside.
The license was surrendered in 1958, leaving Cratfield dry until the Poacher opened.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 29 Mar 1740 states :
Mr Richard Wayneforth was looking to sell an estate of property that included six named inns, one of these was the Bell-Inn at Cratfield, in the tenure of John Smith. The other public houses were all in Norfolk. Mr Wayneforth planned to let out his "well accustomed Brewing Office and Malting Office" in Roydon, within one mile of Diss.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)