closed between 1957 and 1969?
grid reference TM 133 542
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 15/07/2015
Now the former Crown is called "Gryffon House" probably named after "The Gryffon" an Inn that occupied this house prior to "The Crown". The building dates from the early to mid 16th century.
(many thanks to current resident Colin Hardy who supplied this information)
The pub is shown on the 1957 OS map but has disappeared from the 1969 and subsequent sheets, so presumably closed between those dates.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 07 July 1734 to the Crown Inn, Coddenham
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 19 May 1739 to George Cooper at the Crown, Coddenham
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 17 Jan in 1801 states that :
Auction of the Crown Inn, Coddenham comprising a large kitchen, 4 parlours, an extensive dining room, 5 chambers, with 2 bed rooms on the attic storey; an excellent cellar, wine vaults, brew office, back-kitchen, large barn, commodious stables, straw-house & other outbuildings in good & tenantable repair (also a dwelling house & premises adjoining, now in the occupation of Ham Blomfield, cordwainer) together with 2 pieces of rich arable land, containing by computation 8A 3/4 be the same, more or less, also a large Bowling Green on a pleasing eminence. A kitchen garden, small plantation & a piece of pasture land called The Hill, adjoining the premises - 2 acres - eligible for an extensive trade, being the only public house in the parish... and may be viewed by applying to Mr ACFIELD on the premises.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 26 Sep 1801 states that :
Sale details for The CROWN INN, Codenham, early October, 1801. Commodious dwelling house with large kitchen, 4 parlous, extensive dining room, 5 chambers, 2 attics, capital cellars,wine vaults and back kitchen, corn chamber, barn, stables, straw house and other suitable and convenient outbuildings in good repair with the most delightful bowling green. Reference to this being the only house in the parish, Apply to Mr JOHNSON, of Reydon or attorney at law.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)