Scroll through other Bury St Edmunds Real Ale pubs
Characterful building and claims to be (in part) the oldest remaining pub in town. According to Listed Buildings Register, it was built in the 15th century as a merchant's house, though it's probably older, being recorded as a hospice for the abbey before the Dissolution. Located just outside the old East Gate. Nicely furnished throughout with a courtyard garden. This pub also has a declared ethical policy (see the website) and try to have as little environmental impact as possible. Food available (12 - 2.30 and 6 - 10). Live Jazz from 7.30 every Sun eve.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)