Clare Half Moon Inn
also traded as as: Moon, Le Moon Inn (1549)historical era: date unknown
opened 15th cent
2 High St, CO10 8NY
grid reference TL 769 452Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 06/03/2017
In 1830 this commercial inn was a stop for the "Times" coach to London (via Great Dunmow) departing every morning (except Sunday) at 8am. A number of other coaches also stopped in the inn's yard.
The building, which dates from the 15th century, seems to be a sheltered housing scheme, called Half Moon House.
The pub was a family & commercial hotel & posting house.
The Half Moon was described in 1549 as 'Le Moone Inn', and was included in the list of lands belonging to *St Mary's Chantry. In the 17th century the owners extended their premises by buying the house on the corner of Nethergate Street. It lost this other half when the part fronting Nethergate Street was separated from it, so the Moon became the Half Moon.
In a paper read to the Suffolk Archaeological Society in the 19th century, a suggestion was made that the half moon sign may have been derived from the crescent on the sign outside the Swan, but this sounds like a pure guess.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(historical detail found in Clare Book II streets)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old picture from http://www.foxearth.org.uk