also traded as as: Wellington, Duke of Wellingtonhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed March 3rd, 1958
grid reference TM 353 783Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 01/01/2017
This old pub is now residential an still known as "the Duke"
The pub was licensed as "The Duke" from at least 1874 until closure in 1958. When it closed, the license was transferred to the Leiston Royal Standard.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.