Chevington Queen's Head
previously known as: Queen Innhistorical era: Victorian or Edwardian
grid reference TL 795 593Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 02/08/2015
Has been historically listed as being in Chedburgh, but is actually just inside the boundary of Chevington.
Shown as the Queen Inn on the 1836 OS map.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 05 Dec 1795 states that ..catalogues for a local sale were to be left at Queens Head and warious other local pubs.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Vctuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to J. RANSOM of the Chedburgh Queen, Bury.
One source suggests that it closed in about 1900 but was still listed in directories long after this date so this may be inaccurate.
A Victorian brewery was once located on the premises.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)