Campsea Ashe Buck's Head
previously known as Ashe Buck
grid reference TM 330 562
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 27/09/2015
Now residential - known as Buck's Head
A report in the Bury & Norwich Press** on Jul-29 in 1829 states that the pub was:
Struck by electric fluid, which threw (flew?) down the chimney, shattered all the windows in the front of the house and entering one of the rooms in which was a young woman, it caused her temporary insensibility.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 21 July in 1860 states that :
James RICHES, landlord of the Buck's Head, Campsey Ash, pleaded guilty to keeping his house open and selling beer at unlawful hours, on Sunday 8th inst. The defendant had previous convictions for the same offence. He was fined £3 and costs.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)