Bury St Edmunds Three Tuns
previously known as Three Tunns Inn
44 Crown St
grid reference TL 855 639
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 06/05/2016
Closed in 1903 because apparently it was considered inappropriate to have a pub so close to a church!
The building was taken over by the St Mary's Church Institute until 1949 and by the 1970s it was called Landsbury House (reading rooms) and used by the Labour Party as an Office and for meetings until 1997.
(information from www.burypastandpresent.org.uk)
The building dates from the late 17th century, with 18th century alterations.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 21 Nov 1741 states : Mr Reynolds at the Three Tuns in Bury after an unsuccessful arson attack on his premises.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 01 May 1742 states :
To be lett, the Three Tuns Inn in Bury, now in the occupation of Mr Thomas Reynolds, with a convenient Brewing-Office, if required.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Jly 1742 states :
The Greyhound in the Buttermarket in Bury St Edmunds is now kept by Mr Thomas Reynolds who lately kept the Three Tuns in the Old Town. The Three Tunns was to be lett with the Brewing-Office as it stands.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 12 Mar 1743 states :
The Three Tons Inn in Bury St Edmunds, lately in the occupation of Mr Thomas Reynolds, is now kept by John Green
Also listed at 35 or 42 or 43 Crown St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1810 states that : An announcement of the death on the 18th of Mrs Cook, wife of Mr Cook, of the Three Tunns, Bury St Edmunds.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1820 states :
Thomas Mann returns his most grateful thanks to his friends for the favours conferred upon him at the Three Tuns Inn, Bury, and respectfully acquaints them and the public, that he has taken the Dog Inn, Bury, where he hopes to receive a continuance of their support which he will use every exertion to merit. Well aired beds, good old wines, spirituous liquors etc..
A notice in the Bury & Norwich Post** on 02 Sept 1840 states that :
Sir Thomas and Lady Cullum returned home to their estate at Hardwick near Bury on Friday last after an absence of two years on the Continent. On Saturday evening the workmen employed in the extensive improvements to the Mansion and grounds were liberally entertained with their families at the Three Tuns in Bury on the return of the worthy proprietor.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Vctuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to C. TALBOT of the Three Tuns Inn, Bury.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1875 states :
To be sold by auction, by the instructions of the Trustees of the late Robert Mulkin, Esq., at the Angel Hotel, Bury St. Edmund's, the Three Tuns Inn, in Crown Street, at Bury St. Edmund's.NOTE: Mulkin also owned Bradfield Combust Manger, Bury Bushel, Bury Castle, Bury Coach and Horses, Bury Duke of Edinburgh, and Bury Ram.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)