Bury St Edmunds Three Goats' Heads
previously known as Three Goates, Three Goats
17 & 18 Guildhall St
grid reference TL 852 639
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 15/07/2015
Also listed at 14 Guildhall St (1844 + 1855)
The building shown dates from the early 15th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 13 Oct in 1824 states that :
To be Let, The Three Goats' Heads, Gulidhall Street, BSE, with suitable brew-house & stables. For rent & particulars, apply to Mr Thomas HARMER, 70 Westgate Street, BSE
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 18 Mar in 1848 states that :
The Three Goat's Heads Inn to be let : apply to Mr Edward Green, Westgate Brewery, Bury St Edmunds
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Nov 1860 states that :
Charles Cook, of St Andrews Street, and Robert Grimwood, of Angel Lane, both Bury St Edmunds, were charged with stealing two bushels of potatoes from the Three Goats Inn, on Saturday the 3rd November 1860, the property of Mr Henry Brewster, innkeeper, Guildhall Street. The case was remanded.
Called Three Goates in 1912.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)