Bury St Edmunds Swan Innhistorical era: Victorian or Edwardian
96 Northgate St
grid reference TL 855 648Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 14/08/2016
The Ipswich Journal*** on Dec 23 1801 reports:
The Swan, Northgate St, Bury St Edmunds - Sale of Mr Jervis COE's complete & capital plant of brewing on 31.12.1801 - He retires from the said inn on consequence of not agreeing to sell common brewers beer.
Correct location confirmed on the 1885 OS map at the Bury Record Office.
The Listed Buildings Register claims that number 11 Northgate Street was the Swan, but the OS map contradicts this. We take the OS map to be more likely to be correct.
Also reported at 72 North gate st in 1830, at Wells st (1839) and at 85, 91, 92 and 96 Northgate St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Oct in 1841 states that :
On 28 Oct 1841, after a severe illness, died Mr George Wiseman, Cooper, aged 31, eldest son of Mr WISEMAN, formerly of the Swan Inn, Bury.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 20 April 1745 states :
John Short is removed from the Queen's-Head in East Harlingen, Norfolk to the Swan Inn, Bury St Edmunds.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)