Scroll through other Bury St Edmunds closed premises
Some sources suggest this commercial inn and posting house was in the building at the corner of Angel Hill and Chequer Square (with frontage to the square), however the 1885 OS map at the Bury Record Office makes it clear that it was actually slightly to the north of this building, with frontage to Angel Hill.
In the late 18th and early 19th cent this was a notable family coaching inn and posting house including the "New Accommodation Light Pair Horse Coach" which in 1823 set out from here daily at 8am and guaranteed to get to Norwich in 6 hours.
Now the Masonic Hall.
listed building grade II
last updated 03/03/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)