Bury St Edmunds Seven Stars
previously known as Seven Stars and Dial
opened 1732 circa
18 Long Brackland
grid reference TL 853 649
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 01/08/2015
Listed at 60 Brackland St in 1830, at 12 by 1881, and at 18 by 1911. Also listed at 12a, 13 and 35 at some stage.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 06 Mar in 1811 states that :
Auction of property by Order of the Assignees re Mr Henry LEECH, Bankrupt, Merchant & Maltster;
Lot 9, the Seven Stars Public House, situate in Long Brackland, comprising 2 parlours, kitchen, bar-room, 4 chambers, large garden & yard, wherein is a brewhouse, storehouse, stable & cow house.
The above inn is in good repair & occupied by respectable tenants (not named) at will, who are carrying on considerable trade.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1820 states that : Thursday se'nnight died, aged 52, Abraham Howes, of the Seven Stars public house, in Bury.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 07 Mar in 1849 states that The Seven Stars, Bury St Edmunds, in the Long Bracklands, to be let.
(no owner/occupier noted)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1870 states that : Died on the 11th, Mr Talbott, of the Seven Stars Inn, Bury.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)