Bury St Edmunds Saracen's Head
also traded as as: Great Headhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
60-65 Guildhall St
grid reference TL 852 638Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 31/12/2016
The building dates from the early 16th century, though the façade is 19th century. The building now houses the Hunter Club, a popular live music venue.
The Saracen's Head is listed at 61 Guildhall Street in 1855. The 1881 census lists 3 separate premises here, with a brewer at 63, a cooper at 64 and a publican (Great Head) at 65.
A Victorian brewery is also listed here from 1864 until 1901.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)