Bury St Edmunds Plough
83-84 Southgate St
grid reference TL 860 633
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 31/07/2015
The building dates from the 15th century, with 16th and 17th century alterations. The façade dates from the early 9th century.
Listed at 61 Southgate st (in 1839), and later at 63+64 Southgate St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 06 Mar in 1811 states that :
Auction of property by Order of the Assignees re Mr Henry LEECH, Bankrupt, Merchant & Maltster;
Lot 8, the Plough Public House, situate in Southgate-street, comprising a kitchen, 2 parlours, a bar-room, 4 chambers, large yard, wherein is a brewhouse, stable & offices, with 2 large gardens, walled-in.
The above inn is in good repair & occupied by respectable tenants (not named) at will, who are carrying on considerable trade.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Aug 1870 states that : Died on the 8th at Moulton, near Newmarket, aged 21, after a short but severe illness, Alfred, the youngest son of Charles Osborn, carrier to Bury, Newmarket and Cambridge, and landlord of the Plough Inn, Bury.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)