Bury St Edmunds Marquis of Cornwallis
previously known as Cornwallis Inn, Marquis Cornwallis
78 St John's St
grid reference TL 852 645
View in Google Earth
last updated 30/07/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 28 Feb in 1882 states that :
Marquis of Cornwallis" Inn, St John's Street, Bury, to be let "to an energetic man". Apply to Mr A BISHOP, Sarecen's Head, Guildhall Street, Bury.
Also listed at Long Brackland (in 1839 & 1840), at 130 Long Brackland in 1830, at 80 St Johns St (in 1855 + 1861), 92 St Johns St (in 1869 + 1874) 91 St. John's St. (1879) and 78 St John st (in 1891).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1890 states that :
An announcement of the marriage on the 22nd, at St John's church, by special license, by the Rev. Dr Stantial, vicar, Thomas Roper Simpson to Mrs Martha Simpson, of the Marquis of Cornwallis, Bury St Edmunds.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)