Bury St Edmunds Magpiehistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 31/12/2016
The Magpie was demolished during the summer of 1871. The site was later planted with shrubs and enclosed with railings (presumably to keep out the sheep used to graze the churchyard). The site is now a car park.
By the late 1860s it apparently had a reputation as a brothel and was closed soon after.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historic information from Stephen Arbon)
The name may refer to an ancient meaning for the word magpie, "a half pint".