Bury St Edmunds Hunted Stag
also traded as as: Lamb & Flaghistorical era: mid 20th century
33 St John's St
grid reference TL 852 646Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 10/08/2016
The core of the building dates from the 17th century; it was extended in the 18th and early 20th centuries.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 15 Dec in 1860 states that :
George Wilson, nut hawker, of Bury, was charged with assaulting Barnard LEONARD, landlord of the Lamb & Flag Beerhouse, Bury. Prisoner committed.
An application for a full licence was reported in the Bury & Norwich Post, & Suffolk Herald of 28th August 1877:
Mr J S Greene appeared to make an application for a full licence to be granted to the Hunted Stag beerhouse, situated in St John's-street.- Mr C E Salmon appeared to opposed the application. ... taking into consideration the position of the house, the fact that it had recently been rebuilt and restored, and presented the appearance of a full licensed house, that it had a sufficiency of stable accommodation, &c. ... The bench consented to the application, subject to the confirmation of the Licensing Committee.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)