Bury St Edmunds Hare & Houndshistorical era: mid 20th century
19 - 22 Risbygate St
grid reference TL 850 644Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
Demolished in 1938 to become a car-park.
From 1760 it is listed in the Ipswich Journal as a carrier stop
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post*** in 20 May 1801 states that : died, aged 64, Mrs CONEY, relict of the late Mr Nathan. CONEY, formerly of the Hare & Hounds inn, Bury
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1870 states that : Died on the 28th December 1869, at Thetford, Mrs Elizabeth Elmer, mother of Mrs Harvey, of the Hare and Hounds, Bury.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(various directory information courtesy of Desmond Herring)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)