Bury St Edmunds Green Dragonhistorical era: ancient
grid reference TL 852 640Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 28/07/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 25 Oct 1746 states : To be sold, the Green Dragon, standing in Guildhall-street, in Bury, now in the Occupation of William Rofe
The Bury & Norwich Post** on February 22nd 1792 reported:
On Saturday morning, as two boys from Cavendish were going to school they were bitten by a mad dog, though they were a mile distant from each other, one boy was named William Ives, son of a wheelwright the other was named Thomas Ambrose the son of a farmer. The former was bitten in the arm the latter in the leg, they were both brought to this town (Bury) by their friends with a view of obtaining some soporific as a remedy, they applied to a physician who ordered an excision of the part of each lad and the pieces were taken out by two surgeons at the Green Dragon Inn.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 08 Apr in 1812 states that :
All the household furniture, fixtures, plant of brewing utensils for 8 coombs, beer pipes & casks & effects of Mrs MARK, at The Green Dragon Inn, Guildhall Street, BSE
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.