Bury St Edmunds Golden Fleece
also traded as as: Fleecehistorical era: mid 20th century
50 Churchgate St
grid reference TL 854 640Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 07/08/2016
The building dates from the 19th century, possibly built onto 17th century parts, with much older origins including the remains of a 14th century curved ceiling in the cellar.
After closure the building was used as Angela Morgan's dance school for many years.
Was called the Fleece from 1823 - 1865.
In 1823 listed in Hatter st. also listed at 61/62 College St.
A Victorian brewery was once located here.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 05 Aug in 1882 states that, died on 30 July, Mrs Taylor, wife of Mr Charles TAYLOR, at the Golden Fleece Inn, Churchgate St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 05 May in 1891 states that :
Walter Wardly married Mary J., youngest daughter of Charles H. TAYLOR, of the Golden Fleece Inn, Bury.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.