Bury St Edmunds Duke of York
previously known as Ten Bells
33 Whiting St
grid reference TL 853 638
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 30/07/2015
The building dates from the late 15th or early 16th century. It appears on the 1885 OS town plan at the Bury Record office as the Ten Bells. The pub only occupied the left-hand side of the building pictured.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Aug-05 in 1879 when Frederick Whiting was the landlord reports that :
Two men stood accused of stealing a swan from the Bury St Edmunds Botanical Gardens. In court Whiting, landlord of the Ten Bells, stated that the 2 men entered his house one carrying a sack. Whiting soon became suspicious and asked them to leave. A little later, one of the men admitted to Thomas Lummes, landlord of the Melford Swan, that he had indeed was involved with the theft of the Swan. Both men received 4 months hard labour.
Also listed at 34 Whiting St in 1844, at 13 Whiting St in 1855 and 19 Whiting st in 1888.
[Addresses for 13 & 19 may be errors in directories, because other pubs in street have not been renumbered]
Called the Ten bells before 1900 (some reports say 1894.)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
There have been many Dukes of York - the song (Grand Old D of Y) usually refers to Frederick Augustus (1763-1827), second son of George III. He commanded the English army in Flanders in 1794-95. But the song misrepresents the facts as he was only 31, had 30,000 men and had no hills close to where he was fighting.