Bury St Edmunds Duke of Edinburgh
previously known as White Horse
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 14/01/2016
In the late 19th century this was a popular venue for troops of Suffolk militia and free fights were frequent. These, however, inevitably ended as soon as they began, for at that time a local Police station was located nearby in Moyses Hall.
(information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
The pub's site is now occupied by Linens Direct.
It was called the White horse before 1875.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 22 Sep in 1847 states :
Married on 16th September, 1847, Mr William MIDDLEDITCH of the White Horse Inn to Miss Cuthbert, both of BSE
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1875 states :
To be sold by auction, by the instructions of the Trustees of the late Robert Mulkin, Esq., at the Angel Hotel, Bury St. Edmund's, the Duke of Edinburgh, on the Corn Hill, at Bury St. Edmund's.NOTE: Mulkin also owned Bradfield Combust Manger, Bury Bushel, Bury Castle, Bury Coach and Horses, Bury Ram, and Bury Three Tuns.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)