Bury St Edmunds Dolphin Inn
50 Cannon St
grid reference TL 854 648
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 09/03/2016
The building dates from the late 18th century.
Also listed at 39 Short Brackland (in 1839 + 1844), 59 Cannon St (in 1855), 57 Cannon Pl (in 1861), and 53 Cannon St (in 1874) and 64 Cannon Pl (in 1888).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1860 states that :
John Drake, public house keeper, was charged with keeping open the Dolphin public house, Bury St Edmunds, on Sunday night in December 1860 for the sale of beer, after the hour of 11 O'clock. Fined 5s and 16s 6d costs.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Jul-10 in 1888 when Susan Ransom was the landlord's wife reports that :
Ransom purchased a tablecloth from Joseph Smith a blacksmith for 2s 3d not knowing that it had been stolen from Emma Goldsmith.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1890 states that :
Sold by public auction, the Dolphin Inn, Cannon Place, Bury, occupier Mr C Parker, at a rental of £18 per annum, to Mr C H Bullen, for £350.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".