Bury St Edmunds Globe
previously known as Cock & Pye
grid reference TL 856 643Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 13 Mar in 1811 states that :
Auction of all the Household Furniture & other Effects, at the Cock & Pie, Northgate st, Bury.(No tenant noted)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 14 Sep in 1836 states that :
Thursday last, being the day for granting annual licences to the victuallers and innkeepers of this borough (BSE), the former number of 51 were reviewed by the magistrates. There were also several applications for new licences but only 2 were granted. Namely, one for Mr Frederick CLARK, Jun. for the house at the corner of Angel Hill (formerly the Cock & Pie) and the other to Mr BUCKLE, for the beer-house called the Spread Eagle at Stamford Bridge. It was stated that Mr Clark was going to erect a very handsome Inn where the Cock & Pie now stands, a plan & elevation of which, were produced, and a strong written recommendation was produced by Mr Clark, signed by several neighbouring owners and occupiers of both political parties.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Mar 15 in 1800 states that :
Died Sun 09 Mar, aged 95, Mrs Scott, wife of Mr SCOTT who for many years, kept the Cock & Pye Inn, Bury St Edmunds
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)