Bury St Edmunds Bell
also traded as as: One Bellhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed 1881 or earlier
grid reference TL 852 643Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 20/03/2016
Listed in 1823 at Beast Market, 1839 at Meat Market, in 1844 at 3 Corn Market, in 1851 as the One Bell at 1 Corn Hill, in 1861 at 3 Corn Hill and in 1874 at 3 Corn Market. It reportedly stood where the Post Office now stands.
An old-fashioned Family & Commercial inn and General Posting Establishment which also achieved considerable fame as an coaching inn. Coaches such as the "Phenomena" (Norwich to London in 14 hours), "Old Bury" (London) and "Surprise New Coach" made the Bell their terminus. The "Old Bury" was owned by Bell landlord, George Wicks, for many years until 1846 when the railway provided too much competition.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 01 Oct in 1856 states that :
W.WICKS... thanks for support since entering the Bell Hotel, BSE - Also, Massingham's Patent Funeral Car which W.W. has just received, & begs most respectively to call the attention of the public to the usefulness & economy of this Funeral Bier, as being so particularly adapted for our new Cemetery, and the facility with which the coffin can be lowered from it into the grave. As the Funeral Car can be propelled by hand, he hopes it may come within the reach of all classes.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 06 Oct in 1857 states that :
All stock, spirits, beer, bottled ales & brewing plant (270 gallon Copper) being sold at One Bell Hotel following its purchase by John BRIDGMAN, who is refitting it. He will continue to own the Angel Hotel, BSE.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 30 Dec in 1859 states that :
At Bury Petty Sessions, on 24th December, 1859, George UTTING, of the One Bell Inn, was committed for trial for having purchased 2 gallons of brandy from a man who had obtained it under false pretences.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post*** on Feb-15 in 1870 when Mr H S Scott was the landlord reports that :
"Hannah Hunt chambermaid at the One Bull was charged with stealing two silver spoons from Mr H S Scott of the One Bell.
The Bell was demolished about 1880. Replaced by the Post Office. Bell arcade remains as a relic of a right-of-passage through the inn yard.
(information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
The property is shown as "building" in the 1881 census and the Bell Temperance Hotel is listed at 3 Cornhill until at least 1922.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 17 Nov 1744 states that John Green has taken over the Bell, near the Market Cross in Bury St Edmunds from Mr James Steward.
A notice in the Ipswich Journal** on 30 Aug 1800 gives thanks from Richard MULLEY, previously at The WOOLPACK Inn, taking The BELL Inn, Market Hill, BSE (now in the occupation of John YARDLEY)
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on 11 March in 1801 states that :
Richard MULLEY... thanks his friends - for their liberal encouragement he has received during his residence at the Bell Inn, Bury.
Listed as the One Bell at 1 Cornhill in 1851.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)