grid reference TL 906 341
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Bures is part of the Bures St Mary parish
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
Built 17th or 18th century, the inn dates back at least to 1783, when the Ipswich Journal reported an auction on the premises of a nearby house.
A report in the Suffolk Chronicle*** on May-08 in 1813 states that The Angel - Bures is to be let - Apply to Mr William RAYNER at Bures. NB None need apply who cannot command £1000.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1815 states that :
To be let and entered upon at Old Michaelmas next, that excellent and well known Inn, the Angel, at Bures, with or without a capital malt office, 40 coombs steep, adjoining the same, and a convenient quay on the premises for shipping malt, or any other grain, to the London markets; the river Stour running at the bottom of the yard, rent vey moderate. Note! None need apply who cannot command £1000.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 01 Sep in 1854 states that :
The Halstead Brewery and 9 free public houses for auction, including the Angel at Bures St Mary.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Oct in 1856 states that "Died, on 28 Sep 1856, at Bermondsey, of apoplexy, Mr Stephen SHAW, formerly at the Angel Inn, Bures."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)