Bungay Two Brewers
closed between 1912 and early 1930s?
6 Chaucer St
grid reference TM 334 898
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
The location and picture show what would have been the Two brewers assuming the Chaucer St numbering scheme hasn't changed.
A report in the Ipswich Journal* in 1849 (Oct-20) when John & Hannah Jermy were landlords and witnesses in a case of the theft of 2 stone of beef. The accused were found guilty one receiving 7 years transportation the other 12 months hard labour.
Described as "Two Brewers (late)" in the 1909 town Rates book. Since this book was in use until the early 30s, it must have closed some time in that period.
Also listed in Printing House St., Printing Office Lane, Chapel St. and Two Brewers St.
Listed in Neatgate St. in 1879 Kelly's directory & 1881 Census & 1891-92 Whites directory
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(* historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)