Bungay Queen's Head
4 + 6 Bridge St
grid reference TM 336 898
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
The building dates from the early 18th century.
May be called Norfolk Arms before 1839?
Also listed at Trinity Street (in 1839), Market Place (in 1855 & 1865), and at Bridge Street (by 1904).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 13 Jul in 1861 states that :
Albert Linstead, butcher & Wm. Tillitt Junior, fishmonger & John Chapman, shoemaker, all of Bungay, were charged by Mr Charles CHASE, of the Queen's Head, Bungay with stealing 2 bottles of Scotch ale & 2 bottles of Sherry - Remanded.
(The 1881 census lists the landlady with her husband in Earsham St., which is probably their place of residence on the night of the census.)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)