closed 1915 circa
12 Wingfield St
grid reference TM 339 894
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
Shown here on the 1885 OS map.
Also reported in Lower Olland St. and Plough St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1855 states :
At the Bungay Licensing Day in September 1855, the application of Charles Sadd, for the license to the Plough Inn, was refused, the license was reissued to Mr Kindred, for whom Sadd had acted as agent.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1860 states that :
William Watson, landlord of the Plough Inn, at Bungay, was charged with having his house open for the sale of beer on Sunday 18th February 1860, during Devine Service. The case having been proved by Policeman Mosses Farthing, the defendant excused himself saying that , it would never of happened if he had not been ill in bed, as his wife supplied the beer in an unguarded moment. The bench cautioned him to be more careful and reminded him that at the last licensing day he had been advised to be very careful in future in which he conducted his house. The Magistrates decided not to impose the full penalty on this occasion, but he must not appear again. Fined 10s with 7s 6d costs.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** in 1885 (May-05) when Augustus Whiteland was landlord states:
Mary Eggett was charged with breaking and entering into the Plough with intent to commit a felony. In her defence she claimed ahe had been caught before she had stole anything, nevertheless she received 5 weeks hard labour.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)