Bungay Crownhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed between 1925 and the early 1930s.
24 Cross St
grid reference TM 336 897Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/10/2016
Also listed at Market Place. The 1909 town Rates book (which lists the pub at 24 Cross St) describes it as "Late Crown Inn". Since this book was in use until the early 1930s and the last directory entry found was from 1925, we can infer that it closed between those dates.
Also listed at Engine House St (in 1855) and Cross Street (in 1904).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1850 states that : Died on the 22nd at Bungay, Mr William Beecroft, the late landlord, of the Crown Inn, Bungay.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Nov 1860 states that : Leave was given to William Bowles to hold the license for the Crown Inn, Bungay, until the special sessions.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 02 Feb in 1861 states that :
Transfer of ale-house licence from Mr John FEAVERYEAR to Mr Edward BOWLES for the Crown Inn, Bungay
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)