Scroll through other Bury St Edmunds closed premises
Now a shop (Super Drug). The inn dates back to before 1780, when it was advertised to let in the Norfolk Chronicle**** on 23rd September 1780
Bury St Edmund's, Sept. 20 To be Lett, and entered upon directly, or at any Time before Christmas next, that well accustomed Inn known by the Name of The Castle, eligibly situated for both Markets, and late in the occupation of JOHN APPLETON, deceased. The Stock, Household Furniture, Fixtures, etc to be disposed of at the same Time. For Particulars, enquire of HENRY LEECH.
Next door to Moyses Hall which is an old Norman building, dating from about 1180. It was probably built by a Jewish moneylender, and is constructed principally from stone. Later, until 1610 it was an inn. In the eighteenth century a workhouse, gaol, in the nineteenth century a police station. then Great Eastern Railway's parcel and enquiry office. In 1899 it became a museum.
last updated 27/08/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)