Bungay Butchers' Arms
previously known as Bull?
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 14/07/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in 1843 (Jul-01) when Robert Read was landlord states that:
Two men accused of stealing corn "had some beer" a little after his wife Elizabeth and son William had come down stairs at 08.30.
At Bull Ln in 1839 - 1855) May also be listed at Providence Place or in butt la (in 1830).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1855 states :
Thomas Jordan, landlord of the Bull Inn, Bungay, was found guilty in October 1855 of keeping his house open on a Sunday between 11 and 12am for the reception of persons, not travellers. Jordan was fined 5s with 6s 6d costs.
In 1879 and 1881 there are two Butcher's Arms listed, the other is in Earsham Street.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)