closed between 1925 and the early 1930s
11 Market Place
grid reference TM 336 897
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
Listed in the 1909 town Rates book as "Late Bell". As this book was in use until the early 1930s and the last directory entry found was from 1925, we can infer that it closed between those dates.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** in 1890 (Jul-15) when Maria Felningham was landlady states:
Robert Becket was in court having feloniously killed and slayed Henry Plumb. Both Becket and Plumb had been drinking before they met in the Bell, after a short arguement Beckett challanged Plumb to a fight. Felningham ordered both men out. Plumb died the next day from a rupture of the bowels. There was no evidence of Plumb being kicked and witnesses described it as a fair fight and that the men had fallen onto a chair. Becket was found not guilty.
May also be listed in Upper Olland St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1870 states that : The license for the Bell was transferred to Messrs. Bullard of Norwich, on the application of Mr. Boyce, who undertook to find a tenant who would be approved by the Bench.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1870 states that : The license for the Bell was transferred to Henry Barton Prime, formerly of Harleston
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)