Bruisyard Butchers' Arms
grid reference TM 334 657
View in Google Earth
last updated 14/07/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1815 states that :
To be sold by auction at the Arms Inn, Bruisyard a general assortment of Household Furniture, brewing, washing and dairy requisites; comprising 3 feather beds and bedding, 4-post bedsteads, tent and stump ditto, chest with drawers, dressing tables and glasses, chamber chairs, wash hand stands, etc., bureau, bookcases, 30 hour clock, 6 elm hollow seated chairs, elbow ditto, 6 walnut tree ditto, dining and other tables, 6 sets polished fire irons, 4 dozen knives and forks, mahogany voider, ditto tea caddies, and ladies work boxes, copper boilers and tea kettles, japan'd plate warmers and a general assortment of kitchen requisites. Brewing, washing and dairy utensils consist of coomb mash tub, 3 bushel ditto, 2 wort ditto, 12 beer keelers, 20 wash ditto, 24 beer casks, 24 water pails, 12 milk keelers, 6 ditto pails, 2 churns, 2 butter stands, wash doll and a variety of useful articles in the cutlery and drapery line. Also a general assortment of saddles, bridles, dutfins, collars, whips etc., a complete taxed cart and harness, poney ditto, handsome poney for saddle or harness.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** in 1838 (Dec-26) announced that the pub was sold to R K Cobbold as part of the Samuel Alexander's Brewery sale. The Butchers selling at £560.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Aug 1855 states that :
To be sold by auction, that long established and well accustomed roadside public house, the Butcher's Arms, in Bruisyard; comprising of a substantial brick and tile built house, containing a good sized parlour, bar and tap room, kitchen, washhouse, pantry, good cellar, excellent bedrooms, coach house and stabling for 5 horses, with loft, cartlodge with loft, and convenient outbuildings; a butchers shop and a well of good water, with yard and garden at the back, in the occupation of Mrs Oxborrow, widow, who is under notice to quit.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Historical photo from village website)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)