loading
X
Photo of King's Head

Boxted King's Head

historical era: mid 20th century

opened 1800 circa

closed 1936 (22 April)

Fenstead End, IP29 4LH

grid reference TL 805 509

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.


last updated 31/12/2016

This pub was actually located in Fenstead End, which is now part of the parish of Boxted, though remote from the settlement. It's now residential and known as The Black House.

The 1921 OS map shows the inn at this location. It was closed by Greene King in 1936 after what was described as an 'agricultural riot' took place adjacent to the pub.

The pub's sign is shown on the front of the building and a car is visible outside.

(information supplied by Peter Dolton)

This property was built in approximately 1800 when it included a mill, several cottages and a parcel of land. On February 24th 1875, Mr FM King of Bury St Edmunds acquired the property. It had changed hands several times, but in 1875 it was still a fully licensed inn (with an adjoining shop). On June 21st 1881, WS Finch (brewer's clerk) sold the property to FW King (brewer) for £600 On April 22nd 1936, Greene King sold the property to F Smith and C White, at which stage it was de-licensed by covenant.

The property has been in private ownership since and the restrictive covenant still appears to exist. Over the years we have met several people who knew the property as a pub, one of whom remembered swimming in the flooded pub's cellar. Sadly the cellar is now filled in. The bar has been removed, but we still have the off sales counter and bench seating and wooden panelling (complete with dart puncture marks) in the bar room.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information supplied by Peter Dolton)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)