Bentley Tankardhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed July 26th, 1928
grid reference TM 099 382Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 02/01/2016
This pub was virtually on the border with Capel St Mary on the junction of the road to Ipswich with the Bentley Road.
It existed as early as 1838 and closed in 1928, when its license was transferred to the newly-built Rushmere St Andrew Golf.
As seen on the 1882 OS map.
The pub was demolished soon after closure and was replaced by a garage that was subsequently demolished in 1990s when the current junction and underpass was built.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 20 Oct in 1883 states that :
On 24.07.1883, William Henry WOOD, Landlord of The Tankard, Bentley, was charged with keeping his house open during prohibited hours. After hearing the evidence, the Bench were suspicious but dismissed the charge.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)