Bedfield Doghistorical era: mid 20th century
grid reference TM 230 656Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/04/2016
The pub is on the corner and is now known as "Tavern Farm" It stopped being a pub in the late 60s. Mike Lomas.
The building dates from the early-mid 17th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1815 states that :
By authority of the Assignees of Mr Samuel Ray, a bankrupt, to be sold by auction Lot 4 the valuable, good accustomed and long established public house called the Dog, Bedfield, situated by the road leading from Bedfield to Worlingworth, with a butchers shop, slaughter house, barn, stable, backhouse, dairy, neathouse, and other suitable outbuildings, all in complete repair, and 18 acres 6 perches by recent survey, of very excellent arable pasture land, contiguous to the premises, and in the best state of cultivation, now in the occupation of Barnabas Wade, tenant at will.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1860 states that : The death was announced on the 13th March 1860 of George Groom the landlord of the Dog Inn Bedfield, he was aged 45 years.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)