previously known as Chequers
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 14/07/2015
Evidently closed not too long before 1909, as the rating records for that year list the building as "Sun inn (late)". Probably demolished as what's now number 31 is a fairly modern building.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
At the Beccles Petty Sessions of 15th January 1875 the license for the Chequers was transferred to Charles Frampton. The house will in future be known by the name of "The Sun
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.