Beccles Falconhistorical era: mid 20th century
9 New Market
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 14/07/2015
Demolished for retail development in 1963.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 17 May 1740 states :
A Main of Cocks will be fought at Mr Benjamin Lambert's House, the Faulcon in Beccles.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 19 Jun 1742 states a Main of Cocks at Mr Benjamin Lambert's, the Falcon, Beccles.
In 1782 the Norfolk Chronicle reported the death of Mrs Ward from the inn, in an accident at Barnby.
Thomas FARR inherited the Falcon from his father in 1795 & then owned Inn for 55 years**
On 28 April 1852 George YOUELL - sale of Inn & Brewery (he previously held the Chequers 1839 - 1844)**
On 13 July 1858 George Baily, landlord of the Falcon pleaded guilty to permitting a number of women of ill fame to assemble & meet together at his house. Fined £4 15s & costs**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** a book - The Story of a Beccles Inn: The Falcon by Dorothy Smith - ISBN 1 90304501 0)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)