Bury St Edmunds Duke of Wellington (Wellington)historical era: late 20th century
37 Prospect Row
grid reference TL 850 642Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 30/12/2016
The Duke of Wellington was demolished for a new retail development in 2009.
An earlier pub of the same name (Wellington) was closed in Sparhawk Street in 1824.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.