previously known as Red Lion
closed between 1958 and 1981?
grid reference TL 765 634
View in Google Earth
last updated 18/06/2015
Shown here on the 1884 OS map. Our map location and photo show what we think was the Lion. As the OS map isn't very clear, this may be wrong. If you can confirm or refute our assumptions or can provide any more information, please get in touch.
The pub is shown on the 1958 OS map, but not on the 1981 sheet, so presumably closed some time in between.
A report in the Ipswich Journal**** January 11th, 1783 states:
On Monday last about 8 in the evening, Mr Macro of Barrow Hall near Bury was returning home from the Red Lion ( where he had been to collect his tythes) when he was stopped near his own home by a single highway man with a waggoner's frock on. Mr Macro feeling a horse pistol in his hand struck at it with his walking stick but missed his aim, whereupon the villain fired at him but missed, the ball only grazing his cheek and singed his coat upon his shoulder, the highway man then rode across the fields. The next morning Mr Macro went to the place where he was stopped and discovered the track of a horse with bar shoes which led to Kentford Bull, there he found the horse in the stable and the rider in the kitchen whom he apprehended and committed him to Bury gaol His name is James Steggles, late of Tuddenham, a blacksmith.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 23 Jun in 1802 states that :
Red Lion Inn, Barrow. On Thursday, 1st July, 1802... All that old-established Public-House, late the property of Robert DIGBY deceased, comprising the dwelling house, with suitable brewhouse, cellars, stables, coach-house & other outbuildings, a garden & 2 Acres of excellent pasture land, more or less. The above freehold estate has lately, in greta part, substantially rebuilt and is admirably adapted for conducting the very extensive business which it has hitherto been accustomed to; by which the late owner acquired an ample fortune.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1805 states that :
To be sold and may be entered upon immediately the freehold public house and Inn called the Red Lion, barrow, now in full trade, with a stock of most excellent home brewed beer, with its extensive brewery and utensils, as good as new, store rooms, stables, yard, garden and other appartenances belonging thereto; together with an excellent piece of meadow ground, containing in the whole 2 acres, the property of Mr Matthew Spilling, who is leaving that situation, on account of his malting and other concerns in Bury.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 09 Oct in 1805 states that :
Matthew SPILLING, from the Red Lion, Barrow & formerly the Green Man, Bury, has taken the Spread Eagle Inn Bury & would like to thank the friends of Mr MARLEY, for the support he has received.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in 1870 (Jan-15) when Frederick Walford was landlord states:
Hubbard a drover offered Walford to sheep as security against a loan of 25s. Unfortunately for Walford, Hubbard had stolen the sheep and was charged with theft receiving 2 months hard labour. A charge against Walford for receiving was dropped.
Included in the report of an application for a full licence at the Horse Shoes Inn in the Bury & Norwich Post, & Suffolk Herald of 28th August 1877:
... The Lion Inn really belonged to Messrs E Greene and Son, as the lease they held of it would not expire for 11 years, and their present tenant, Mr Miller, was about to go out. ...
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)