An inn appears on the 1945 OS map at this approximate location. On the 1856 map, "Blindman's Gate" is marked here.
It's listed in the 1910 Rates book as being owned by the Crown Brewery of Lowestoft.
Shown here on the 1884 OS map.
A car wash now stands on the site of the pub.
There's no consensus as to the origin of this unusual name; one suggestion is that it was originally a tollhouse looked after by a blind man.
last updated 08/12/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)