Bardwell Green Man
opened 1779 circa
last owner Ex GK
grid reference TL 942 732
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 09/05/2015
The building dates from the 16th century, with 17th and 18th century extensions.
Earliest use as a pub ~1779
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 25 May in 1855 states that :
Mr Edward GREENE is auctioning this public-house, he having determined to have no tied custom: The Green Man, Bardwell, occupied by Mr FULLER.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
A Green Man is a sculpture, drawing, or other representation of a face surrounded by or made from leaves. Also frequently found on carvings in churches and other buildings (both secular and ecclesiastical).