Badingham Bowling Greenhistorical era: late 20th century
closed between 1978 and 1983?
High Rd (A1120)
grid reference TM 329 683Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 21/02/2016
The 1957 OS map shows this as a pub, on the 1978 sheet it's shown as "The Bowling Green", though it's not clear whether or not it's still a pub. By the 1983 sheet it seems to have gone. So it seems most likely that it closed between 1978 and 1983, though it may possibly have been between 1957 and 1978.
In 1861 listed at Peasenhall Rd
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1835 states that :
To be sold by auction. The entire household furniture and miscellaneous effects of Mr George Allen, who is leaving the situation immediately: 3 feather beds, tent bedsteads and bedding, including blankets, counterpanes, chest of drawers, dressing glasses and chamber furniture. 1 dozen concave seated chairs and elbows to match. 3 square dining tables, Pembroke table, 3 sets of fenders and fire irons, a variety of glasses in decanters, wine and tumbler ditto, a set of blue dinner service, 21 dishes, 6 dozen plates, etc., complete with usual culinary requisites, 18 gallon copper, with copper boilers, saucepans, fountain, tea kettle, frying pan, etc., with wash keelers, water pails and general requisites, including a variety of miscellaneous effects enumerated in catalogues now in circulation.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in June 1835 states that :
To be sold by auction if not previously disposed of by private contract, that well established public house called, Baddington Bowling Green, with butchers shop, stables, and all other buildings thereto belonging, with a newly arranged bowling green, and a garden planted with choice fruit trees, now in the occupation of Mr Leach, a highly respectable tenant, at the rent of £35 per annum, with a covenant to keep the buildings in good repair.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in 1854 (Mar-18) when George Day (The Elder) was landlord states:
Day accused a Mr Easey of stealing a slab of ash from his yard. The defence insinuated that Day was drunk at the time and his purpose for the accusation was to gain possession of the accussed property. Easey was found not guilty.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)