Alpheton Red Lion
mid 20th century
Bury Rd (Now called the Old Bury Rd)
grid reference TL 885 513
View in Google Earth
last updated 06/05/2013
The inn dates back at leat as far as 1820, when the Bury & Norwich Post reported one Mr. Golding breaking his leg there.
"Later known as "The 'alf eaton lion", it suffered much loss of trade from the diversion of the road that it could not keep going and closed in 1964"
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)