grid reference TM 047 453
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/04/2016
Listed at www.tollycobbold.co.uk as having been open in 1924 but closed by 1961. The pub is known to date back at least as far as 1831, though the present building only dates from 1914 when the pub was rebuilt.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 26 Aug in 1854 states that :
A free Public House called The Sportsman, Aldham, in good repair...with a good brew house, cellar, stable etc & upwards of an acre of excellent land being sold on behalf of Mr Goate GURDON Sen (Dec).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Aug 1875 states that :
To be let, at Michaelmas, a full licensed public house known as the Aldham Sportsman, including one acre of capital arable land and premises suitable for a dealer. Apply to John Moryse, brewer at Boxford.
A report in the Bury, Norwich Post** in 1880 (Nov 02) when Charles Hayward was landlord states:
Two men woke Hayward at 1am asking him to take in 2 beasts that they had been droving from Norwich. The bullocks were the subject of a court order and the men ended up in court accussed of breaking the order. After a complex trial they were aquitted.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 27 Sep in 1890 states that :
James Beaumont, labourer, Elmsett was summoned by Clara Hayward, daughter of Mr HAYWARD, of the Sportsman Inn, Oldham (Typo : Aldham) for assaulting her, in her father's house on 7th September, 1890. Fined 2s & 18s costs.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)