Bury St Edmunds Angel Hotel
3 Angel Hill, IP33 1LT
grid reference TL 854 641
(details under review)
listed building grade II*
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Bury St Edmunds is St Edmundsbury
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 09/03/2016
A family owned 4 star hotel in town centre covered with Virgina creeper. Styled with a traditional Georgian elegance. Records show that there has been an inn on this site since about the 13th century. In fact there were once three ancient inns on this site - the Angel, the Castle and the Boar's Head, with the earliest reference to an inn here dating back as far as 1281. The present building dates from around 1774-1776 when it was also a posting inn.
The town Hustings (electioneering speeches) were traditionally held outside the Angel Hotel and Charles Dickens stayed here in 1859 and 1861 (and earlier) when he gave readings to the town. The Bury Fair was held annually near here until 1871 when it was discontinued after it fell into disrepute. Originally granted by Henry I and held on feast of St James (25th July) Bury Fair was latter moved to feast of St Matthew (21st Sept.) and was a one time visited by Mary Tudor (who also married Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk). By 1721 the fair was very famous with many "knights and gentlemen of estates and gentlemen's daughters" in attendance. Two other fairs once held annually in Bury include the Calf's Tail Fair on Tue, Wed & Thu of Easter week, and a "butter fair" held on 2nd Dec.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Traditional separate public bar
Real coal or log fire
Children are welcome
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Railway station about 0.7 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Just inside the nearby Abbey Gardens is a memorial to seventeen local martyrs who were burnt at the stake for their adherence to the protestant faith, as part of the Marian persecutions. Two of the martyrs, J & H David were executed in early November 1558, just before Queen Mary's death.