Ipswich Grove Tavern
closed August 31st, 1969
last owner Tolly Cobbold
140 St Helen's St
grid reference TM 171 445
View in Google Earth
last updated 17/04/2015
Also listed at Curve st. Now offices for the Samaritans.
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse. According to the Ipswich licensing records, the Grove got its full license on February 6th 1961.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Mar-24 in 1863 when Mary Anne Thurston was landlady states:
Miss Mary Anne Thurston kept the Grove Tavern in St Helens Street where George Bailey tried passing a counterfeit silver shilling in payment for a pint of mild beer. A search of his cottage in Regent Street revealed 136 counterfeit coins in various stages of production, cyanide of silver, acetate of sulphur and a galvanic battery. Bailey pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 5 years penal servitude.
Elizabeth Smith married William Mason (possibly a soldier) and by 1901 she was shown as Head of the household at the Grove Tavern, which she ran with the help of her brother Oliver.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(detailed information by Chris Stanton)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)