Beccles Railway Hotel
previously known as Railway Tavern, Railway inn
closed between 1969 and 1982?
55 Station Rd
grid reference TM 425 904
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 13/04/2015
Now a restaurant.
The pub appears on the 1969 OS map but seems to have vanished by the 1982 (and subsequent) sheets, so presumably closed in between.
On the 1st of June 1859 the East Suffolk Railway Line was opened from Ipswich to Lowestoft - the pub probably dates from about that time.
It was recorded in Wellington Street in 1865 (maybe an older name for Station Road?)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Vctuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to L.NEWSTEAD & W. CHURCH of the Railway Tavern, Beccles.
In the East Suffolk Gazette on 29 Aug 1911 the Railway Hotel was reported for sale.
In the Almanack on 8 Feb 1912 the following was reported: "The G.E R. employees in the Way and Works Department have their Annual Dinner at the Railway Hotel, Mr. Youell presiding."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)