grid reference TM 365 745
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/04/2016
Rebuilt about 1830 on the site of an earlier inn.
Still open at least as late as 1967, which is as far as we've been able to trace licensing records.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1830 states that :
To be sold by private contract that well established Inn, in Walpole, called the Bell, which has been recently rebuilt in brick, and slated, and is judiciously arranged for conducting an extensive business, with spacious dining room, parlour, keeping room, bar, kitchen, excellent cellarage, 7 principal sleeping rooms with closets, and every appropriate convenience; there are 2 capital stables, with loft, and granary over them, chaise house, carpenters shop, paved yard. Adjoining is a brick built, slated messuage and another messuage in 3 tenements with adjoining a piece of most productive arable land upon which is planted 60 fruit trees. The land situated upon an eminence, adapted for building, and a considerable number of forest trees are planted, and there is a fine vein of brickearth thereon.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.